SOME INTERESTING TIDBITS ABOUT FLORIDA
- The population of Florida exceeded 20 million as of 2015.
- Gatorade is named and developed after the University of Florida Gators.
- Florida was admitted to United States as a State on March 3, 1845 as the 27th State
- Clearwater, Florida has the highest rate of per capita rate of lightening strikes of all U.S. cities.
- In Key West, Florida chickens are classified as a "protected species."
GOVERNMENT AND POPULATION DATA
- Form of Government - Governor and independent cabinet consisting of Attorney General, Chief Financial Officer,
Commissioner of Agriculture.
- State Legislature - 120 House Districts, 40 Senate Districts
- 23 Congressional Districts
- 2 U.S. Senators
- Bill Nelson (D)
- Marco Rubio (R)
- Current Governor - Rick Scott
- Capital - Tallahassee
- Population - Over 20 Million
- Number of Counties in Florida - 67
- State Flower - Orange Blossom
- State Nickname - The "Sunshine" State
GEOGRAPHY OF THE STATE OF FLORIDA
- Total Area of the State - 65,755 Square Miles
- 22nd Largest State in the U.S. in Total Area
- Land Area - 53,927 Square Miles
- Total Water Area - 11,828 Square Miles
- Highest Point - 345 Feet Above Sea Level near Lakewood in Walton County
- Total Coast Line - 1,197 Statute Miles
- Total Miles of Beaches - 663 Miles
More Florida Information